The purpose of this important election notice is to clarifiy the newly approved guidelines pertaining to the politicial positions within the Mushkegowuk Council
According to the Election Code – dated May 30, 2023:
- PART 5 – 5.1: The Grand Chief of Mushkegowuk Council shall be elected through a universal one person, one vote system by individual members of the seven (7) Mushkegowuk First Nations.
- PART 5 – 5.2: Two Deputy Grand Chiefs shall be elected in conjunction with the election of the Grand Chief. Voters of the Northern communtities; Attawapiskat, Kashechewan, Fort Albany and Moose Cree will be eligible to vote for a Deputy Grand Chief representing that area. Voters from the Southern communities; Taykwa Tagamou, Chapleau Cree and Missanabie Cree will be eligible to vote for a Deputy Grand Chief representing that area.
- PART 6 – 6.3: Each voter will be entitled to vote for the position of Grand Chief and one vote for the position of Deputy Grand Chief, according to which First Nation they are a member of.
Due Dates For Ballots
- Mail-In Ballots Due: August 25, 2023
- Email Ballots Due: August 25, 2023
General Election Day
- In Person Voting: Friday, August 25, 2023 from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Sherry A. Davey
Former Chief Electoral Officerelection2023@mushkegowuk.ca
Download PDF of this notice here.